Wednesday, October 10, 2007

To answer your questions...

Some folks have asked what my answers to the earlier posted questions may be...well, here they are!

About the term "bullring", well, our high school was built around 1959 or so. The open areas outside were for the students to gather during breaks to socialize. They built several round concrete benches in strategic places on which the students could sit and talk ("shoot the bull")...well, these rings became known as "bullrings" and were the popular place to gather. Can you picture it? Teenage girls in bobby socks and poodle skirts, sitting around the bullring talking about the guys; teenage guys in cuffed jeans, combing their slicked back hair, trying to look cool for the girls? Well, my brother and sister were part of that crowd in the 1960's, and so was I during the 1970's...the bullrings were the place to be!

While we have a larger break area now, complete with picnic tables and cover in case of bad weather, the old bullrings are still there, and still being used today. Just imagine how many stories were told around those bullrings...How many girls were asked to the prom while sitting on the benches? How many hearts were broken in the middle of the ring? How many students stood up on the benches, jockeying for the best position as a camera-toting journalism student was taking their club photo...?

Well, we've walked far enough down memory lane! Now, let's see...my favorite version of High School Musical is #2. I guess because the music is a little more hip and the dancing is a lot more physical...I used to dance, so I love the choreography!

Concerning Katrina, well, I don't think we'll have any more bad storms this season...but then, I also lived through Hurricane Camile in 1969 and I thought we'd never see that kind of devastation again...boy, was I wrong!

And as for the latest question concerning sickos on the internet...I know it's impossible to police it, but there has to be some way to keep these nuts from having access to kids' websites.

No comments: