Sunday, October 21, 2007

Podcasts: Frighteningly exciting new territory!

I'm still working my way through my online course and our assignment for this week was to explore podcasts. Well, I viewed a few podcasts (my experience with them is very limited), and I discovered something...I think they're great! I really liked History Channel Speeches and Video. Having all that history right at my fingertips was really cool! That is such a wonderful resource for all students! I also enjoyed some of the podcasts provided by some elementary students, such as Radio WillowWeb in Omaha, Nebraska. They did a podcast on the southern states that I would love to share with my students.

With the right software I would love to do podcasting with my students, but I must admit that I'm still very apprehensive about using this new technology. However, with a little help, perhaps I can begin working on that project very soon.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Yes, podcasts can be very frightening and frighteningly exciting all at the same time. Just think what things the spesters can learn from these podcasts--and I'm not just speaking of the students! We as sped teachers can learn new ways to help our student learn even more. Our students (or at least mine) only get experiences through the use of tv and the computer (if they're allowed to get close to it let alone use it). Often we in the school system are the only ones with the capability to expose our students to things that they will NEVER encounter in their own life otherwise. With the ability to use podcasts or streaming video, we can get a more realistic way of giving them the exposure without having to bore them with lectures! I agree, I really like the ideas of the podcasts--just really have to preview before showing!

stephanie mc said...

I think podcast are wonderful teaching tools. Unfortunately, I work in a school district that has really tough internet policies. This of course, limits where my kids can go. My deepest concern is that because a lot of my kids only have access to the internet at school that they will not be able to take advantage of such a great teaching tool.